Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The magical number of increase

The good news is, I'm smart about my finances, especially for a young person. The bad news is, I'm smart about my finances, especially for a young person.

I had just finished filing my 2012 taxes, and because of the messy, messy issues involved with co-signing a loan (especially with a not-so-responsible second party), I'm stuck paying a $3151 tax bill. I was smart enough to book a massage before going to the tax lady so I was calm and fairly complacent over hearing the news that by April 13, 2013, I had better pay the tax man $3151.

This is an outrageous issue in so many ways. One, I've been very, very responsible with my finances for a very long time. I keep out of debt, I pay my rent and bills weeks ahead of schedule, and I own everything free and clear. Two, this isn't my tax bill, not even close. The second party had taken out $32,000 against the home loan because she wanted to live la dolce vita, and she was accustomed to a certain lifestyle. All this is fine and all, except when other people are stuck paying the bill, and feelings (already raw and bloodied) are sent through the robo-coupe one more time.

Once again, the stroke of fear I had felt signing the loan is coursing through my veins. I remember the way I had issued a dire warning to all parties involved, you will regret this, you will regret your opulent lifestyle and taking out a loan, nothing is ever free and clear.

A few years and a battered checkbook later, my terribly sharp instincts have been proven right, once more. So was my uneasy feeling that a short sale will rid us of the house debt, once and for all. Once again, I was right, I knew all along that a bill will come along and slap us right in the face. Only, it was my face that got slapped and everybody else can move on with their lives.

A tax bill would never have been so terrible except that I've come up with the exact amount of money to pay for spring quarter in college. I was bouyant knowing I came up with the money, on my own, only for all of it to be taken away. I'm four months away from joining the graduation ceremony, and five months from officially receiving my diploma. My road to graduation is slowly turning into The Odyssey, and I can't even begin to tell anyone how much it sucks the hope out of me.

I'm slowly regretting not applying for another scholarship, because I was morally opposed taking from other people what they should have. My stellar finances stood in the way of erasing the tax bill. I was too responsible, too smart with my money, the tax lady had said to me. Most days loans and credit card debt are bad news, but not today, she said. Not today.

And so, I must pay for the tax bill in cash--my tuition fee next quarter remains in limbo. I had just sent my proposed independent learning contract earlier during the day, alongside my academic statement essay--two documents that will be sealed into my official transcripts.

I couldn't sleep, I started looking for part time jobs (selling coffee, at the least), but with my erratic work schedule and commitments at the NGO, I don't know how I'll manage to pick up a part time gig. I e-mailed my old staffing agency about keeping me in the loop for barista jobs, the hours are bad and the pay is terrible, but what can I do? I'm a mover, it doesn't do me any good sitting around enjoying my personal rain cloud.

I'm a shark, I have to keep moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment