Saturday, October 27, 2012

A sexy, sophisticated breakfast nook

Breakfast at Smoking Monkey Pizza in DTR was fabulous, just fabulous.

I met up with a group, sight unseen, to be part of a collective restaurant critique and what fun! My group involved Jenny Manning, the Renton Patch Editor and Ira Sacharoff, prolific local food blogger and two new friends Alexis and Brian. I wanted to stay nestled in underneath my three blankets after a long arduous night of tossing and turning (I took an Anthropology exam past midnight and I can't stop obsessing over the 6 answers that I got wrong) but I was very pleased to have found the motivation to jump out of bed and drive on over.

Breakfast at Smoking Monkey is unorthodox, not the usual greasy and fatty eggs and sausage combo. Jenny ordered a goat chese fritata paired with Sourdough toast and a (spicy and exciting) fig jam. Ira had a butternut squash calzone paired with the infamous (spicy and exciting!) fig jam and marinara sauce. I tend to order the day's special which as a well-received cornmeal waffle with an over medium egg and well-salted ham. The oohing and aahing resonated loudly from our table and the owner, overachieving Gene Sens came over our table to discuss his restaurants and his future plans for a good ole fashioned diner like Geraldine's Counter and Skillet over in Seattle.

I've been burned by bad breakfast food before and I'm pleased to say that Smoking Monkey's breakfast addition to the Renton restaurant repertoire is going to be a fabulous and delicious venture. The only downside I can see is that it won't be well-received by families with kids in their party. This breakfast nook is for adults only and rightfully so--it's sexy, provocative and downright innovative.

Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment