Friday, October 26, 2012

What's for dinner?

I'm pretending to study for a quiz that  I'm taking as early as tomorrow morning. I've been studying all week, I've prepared a bulletproof study guide and I'm ready for the exam to be over already. Quite frankly, I'm not a big fan of exams--written exams, I can handle, as a matter of fact, I love written or oral exams. I feel like those types of exams really show the intellectual muscle behind a student's work. Memorization, however, not a big fan.

I have an extraordinary memory by the way, but still, memorizing endless passages--just not my thing. I would much rather focus on research and writing academic papers than memorize random facts.

Most of my afternoon was spent talking to my advisor at Seattle Education Access, Dr. Polly Trout. I love being able to talk to someone (a very accomplished someone) about career choices, books, and all the random splinters embedded in my brain. She told me a Ph.D. program in the Humanities could last up to 7 years. As much as I am a fan of education, 9 more years of schooling is not something I'm particularly enthused about. You see, I have a tendency to overwork and over-exert myself and I could see taking on a Ph.D. program as the end of me, quite literally. I would shut down all my friends and just hide inside my room studying, reading and writing furiously. Oh wait, I already to that, working on my B.A.

I made the mistake of telling someone my future goals and dreams that is to leave my current industry and embark on a whole new one sight unseen. Of course, I was met with a resounding no. My once unfailing optimism to work for this fabulous company is showing its cracks. A few weeks ago I felt like I could walk into an interview and get hired on the spot, and now, with the resounding no that I received over the phone and not hearing from anyone I'm starting to re-consider my dreams.

Am I really foolish for leaving behind the industry that has fed me for 10 years?

I'm a war torn veteran in my industry and I have way more than a Purple Heart to show my tenure and that's why I'm over it. Done. Finito. Business management and leadership is one of my great passions in life and I want to continue doing so for the rest of my life. Maybe it's in my industry, maybe not. I just want to know that I have other options besides what's in front of the table right now

No comments:

Post a Comment