Sunday, August 26, 2012

scholarship: SEA chapter

Almost two hours ago I stepped out of the office of the Seattle Education Access close to the UW campus. I came in begging for school money--$2023.00 to be exact and I left with smeared eyeliner and a rejuvenated passion for school, learning and success.

Part of the interview was discussing the gnarly bits that go into a student's life like my meager earnings, educational goals and what I plan to do when I graduate. Big, giant questions I know considering I could barely answer the simple "how science relates to technology?" homework essay in my Sociology class much less answer Big, Giant questions like what do I need to succeed in my educational goals?

Unfortunately, going to school isn't just about getting good grades and turning in your homework on time. There's finances to worry about, going to work, relationships that need to be addressed and other things that get in the way of getting your diploma.

Mentors.

I told the scholarship committee I need mentorship in my life in order to accomplish my goals and I wasn't getting any. Other than Mr. Big of course. I suppose I need the mentorship of women in my life and if things go as planned, maybe I can be a mentor to somebody else too.

And as an aside, I received an email from the Linda Lael Scholarship for Women that they've received my scholarship application.

All I have to say is, bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment