Saturday, May 4, 2013

That Sally Field moment

Last night after working nine-days straight without time off, and almost unlimited overtime thrown in the mix, I emceed a fundraising event for the NGO near and dear to my heart. I bought a pair of shoes that are "so not me" bright pink and fuchsia and gave me about three extra inches of height. The kind of shoes that turn complete strangers into adoring fans. My red dress wanted something fun to dance with, and my black pumps isn't going to cut it.

I've never emceed before, and I really hope after last night, I won't have to do it again. I'll be lying if I say I didn't have that Sally Field moment of thinking, "they like me! they really like me!" I stood in front of about a hundred people and told my story, the way I can only tell my story, of being constantly underachieving to overachieving in less than a year's time. I spoke about the power and magic of wishing, and how my three small wishes harnessed force, and became so powerful it steered the course of my life forever.

One more wish I had that I never fully articulated is meeting this one board member. Her educational aspirations closely resembled mine but she changed paths and became a Senior Program Manager at Microsoft. Full disclosure: I've been harboring thoughts of learning front-end web development and I've had a nagging suspicion for months now that I should scratch that itch.

And so, I asked for her card, when she casually mentioned we should talk more in the future. I checked the website just to be sure I am talking to the person I wanted to talk to forever. I shot her a quick e-mail asking about the possibility of a coffee date in the future. I want to pick this woman's brain, you gotta understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment