Saturday, December 1, 2012

A sweet note, goodbye

I just finished a lecture about sweets and deserts in WA State on yet another frigid day in the Northwest. yes, you read that right, it's a Saturday, on my day off and I'm in a library for an Anthropology lecture. Food anthropology, I have to add, just in case everybody thinks I'm a complete nerd.

I am a complete nerd, and as I sit in the classroom, I can't wait to crack open two new books I found at the library that are begging to be read. I can't escape my nature, which is to read as if books are going extinct in two hours. Truly, books are my passion, and after reading Paterno last night I realized he and I share an obsession with words. Two very different people, but we have words linking us together across the United States.

Right after the disappointing news of being turned down for a prestigious internship, I was greeted by a very welcome news. As of this writing, I've officially been offered a position for the newly-minted Student Advisory Council Leaders within Seattle Education Access--a NGO that is near and dear to my heart. These are the moments that make failure a little bit easier to digest, and for this semester I've had quite a few; both in school and in real life. Two weeks to go and I've taken my last quiz--the final requirement for the semester in Anthropology and I'm packing up for my new life. A new life in a different college, anyway.

I'm anxiously waiting for 2013 to barge in with a marching band behind him. A new, but old college campus, including a program I designed with my friend and mentor, Dr. Polly; a new job in her NGO, and maybe, another raise and promotion in the offing.

To celebrate I went out for a dim sum lunch, and I should have had eggs and sausage next door instead. No matter--even if I don't quite it for the writing internship, and the Dean's List at WSU--I'm going to be happy and content, just until the winds of change start to kick my doors gaping open.

No comments:

Post a Comment